To be honest, I was going to write about my 5 favorite movies in general. But then, I found I couldn’t, or at least not yet. First I have to work on my favoite movies in different categories, and I decided to begin with the trendy category: super heroes. So, I (really) hope this is easier.
5. The Incredible Hulk. Not to be confused with “Hulk”. As much as I like Eric Bana, I really hate that movie. But coming back to The Incredible Hulk, I loved it! Edward Norton is awesome, and everybody else as well. The story is much more faithful to the original, too. And then that final scene where Tony Stark appears and gives the first hint to the Avengers… I totally geeked out when I saw it for the first time. Too bad Mr. Norton won’t be present in the upcoming Avengers film. I have faith in Mark Ruffalo, though. I’m sure he can be an excellent Bruce Banner.
4. Superman. Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman… what could go wrong? Nothing. This is simply a classic. Although… I think I was too quick to say nothing could go wrong; there’s always Margot Kidder… I like her, but her Lois Lane didn’t convince me at all. She is more like a magnet for trouble. But everything else is great! Of course the special effects look dated, but it simply doesn’t matter. This movie is really, really good.
3. X-Men. I like all the X-Men movies, but the first one is the one I blame for hooking me into super hero movies. I had never read the comics before that (or after, I’m afraid to say), but the way they presented the mutant situation looks so possible… Besides, it’s a great example of the lengths people will go to to destroy what they don’t understand, or whomever doesn’t understand them. There are no good or bad people, only misunderstanding and intolerance. And we have to work on more acceptance.
2. Batman Begins. Ok, have I mentioned that Batman is my favorite super hero? Well, he is. He has no special powers, he is no son of a distant planet. He’s just a man with lots of wit, lots of cash and the courage to do what he thinks is right. And this movie directed by Christopher Nolan depicts that in an amazingly good way. Christian Bale is excellent in everything he does; Michal Cain, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, everbody does a great job. Even Katie Holmes is acceptable. And whenever I see this movie, I have to see my number one, which is…
1. The Dark Knight. I am trying to find the correct words here, but I can’t. Simply amazing. Aaron Eckhart is an awesome Harvey Dent; you totally believe he is good, and later on you witness his fall from grace. And even though you don’t like it, you understand him. But who helps him change? the fantasic, amazing, Heath Ledger. I never thought the Joker would be so twisted, so caotic. Sorry to all Jack Nicholson lovers ot there; I think this Joker was a million times better. Very different, too. Nicholson’s Joker was a bad guy, but he was angry at Batman, which made him do whatever he did. But this one… he just wants to see how far people will go. As Alfred says, “some men just want to see the world burn”. I know many people think they gave Ledger the Academy Award because he died, but I really think he deserved it. His job in this movie is simply unforgettable. Oh, by the way, I hope the rumors I’ve heard about them rebooting Batman (again) in the near future are false. If they do, I don’t see how they could even come close to Christopher Nolan’s films. I can’t wait to see The Dark Knight Rises!!!
Well, those are my picks. What about your favorite super hero movies?
I’ll be back soon with more of my 5 favorite _____ movies.
See you soon!